Hello! I am a flat-footed, overpronating runner who has spent countless hours over the past ten or so years wearing heels and other ill-fitting shoes. Perhaps not-so-surprisingly, I have two bunions (one more pronounced bunion and one that is just starting to form). Here they are!
About three years ago, I decided to see a podiatrist about the achy and bony bump on the inside of my left foot. I walked into the appointment hopeful, expecting to learn of something, anything I could do to get rid of this painful thing (bone growth? inflammation? sixth toe??). Right away the podiatrist confirmed that my bump was, in fact, a bunion. However, she gave me no silver bullet, no magic stretch or exercise I could do to reverse the bunion. She suggested I stop walking barefoot and avoid stressing the joint whenever possible - I should consider swimming and biking as a replacement to running. If the bunion worsened to the point where I could no longer walk or wear shoes, I could consider surgery.
I left this appointment deflated and in pure denial. Faced with this "extreme" prognosis, I buried my head in the sand while I waited for the wizards of podiatry to conjure that silver bunion bullet. Three years later, I still run nearly every day and walk barefoot all the time. My original bunion has continued "growing" and a second bunion is now budding on my right foot.
Bunions hurt. Recently, I spent several days nearly unable to walk thanks to my left bunion. Realizing that my bunions and these episodes of achy feet would only worsen over time, I decided it was finally time to start paying attention to my feet and revisit the idea of, if not curing, at least preventing my bunions from progressing.
I began by reading countless blogs and online magazines and articles about bunions. Combing through the seemingly infinite supply of opinions and magical home remedies, I began to understand a little about the cause of bunions. Finally, I came across the website of Ray McLanahan, a podiatrist based in Portland, Oregon who, whenever possible, takes a non-invasive and preventative approach to treating bunions and other foot maladies. I was instantly inspired. This isn't to say I found my silver bullet! But I did find a possible alternative to surgery and abandoning running and bare feet.
TLDR: I am using this blog to chronicle my journey and experiments in living with my bunions and attempting to control their development.
No comments:
Post a Comment